Book It Forward!
Book it Forward! – a joint initiative of Idaho Voices for Children and The Cabin Literary Center– is dedicated to increasing access to books. We collect new and gently-used books and get them to kids to help them on their reading journey.
Kids are learning to read up until third grade, and after that they read to learn. Reading proficiently at the end of third grade is the single most important factor in their success in school. Yet there are too few books for kids in low-income homes, which is barrier to developing their reading proficiency.
- Low-income homes have on average about 1 book for every 300 children. By comparison, in middle and high-income homes, each child has an average of 50 books.
- The availability of reading material in the home is directly associated with children’s achievement in reading.
Here’s how you can help:
- Participate in this year’s Book it Forward! Idaho and United Way annual book drive! Click here for more information.
- Donate any new or gently used books to Book It Forward! They will count as a tax-deductible donation. Click here for a tax receipt form. We will provide those books to Idaho children who need them to become successful readers.
- Volunteer to clean and sort books to distribute. Our warehouse is located at The Cabin Literary Center, open M-F, 9am-5pm. Set up a shift using the contact information below. Groups shifts are welcome.
- Like us on Facebook! You can keep up to date on book drive initiatives, educational news, and see how we’re doing!
In Boise, you can drop off new and gently used books at the following locations:
- The Treasure Valley YMCA (Downtown and West locations)
- The Cabin Literary Center (801 S Capital Blvd)
- Idaho Voices for Children (1607 W. Jefferson St., Boise, ID 83702)
- United Way of Treasure Valley (3100 S Vista)
- Barnes and Noble (1315 N Milwaukee)
What have we accomplished so far?
- Donated 200,000+ books to children since the Spring of 2013
- Partnered with United Way of Treasure Valley in an annual state-wide book drive
- Established a warehouse operation at The Cabin to store, process and send out books requests.
- Set up collection sites at the downtown and West Y’s, United Way of Treasure Valley on Vista, Barnes & Noble at 1315 N Milwaukee, the Cabin on Capitol Blvd, and Idaho Voices for Children at 1607 W Jefferson.
- Partnered with many area schools to hold book drives, including Bishop Kelly High School, Riverstone International, Roosevelt, Foothills and Highlands Elementary schools
- Donate to organizations such as Terry Reilly Clinics, Little Libraries, Nampa B&G Club, Southwest District Health WIC Clinics, Caldwell Schools, Nampa Schools, Marion Pritchett, and Taft and Garfield Elementary schools.
- Awarded a grant as charity of choice for the Silver Sage Porsche Club of America for 2015
- Awarded the Governor’s Brightest Star award for 2017, recognizing our impact and voluntarism in the community.
For information on donating books, to request books, or to volunteer, contact Diane Schwarz, email@example.com
Need a receipt for a donation?
Click here for a tax receipt form.