Book It Forward!
Book it Forward! – a joint initiative of Idaho Voices for Children and The Cabin Literary Center– is dedicated to increasing access to books. We collect new and gently-used books and get them to kids to help them on their reading journey.
Kids are learning to read up until third grade, and after that, they read to learn. Reading proficiently at the end of third grade is the single most important factor in their success in school. Yet there are too few books for kids in low-income homes, which is a barrier to developing their reading proficiency.
- Low-income homes have on average about 1 book for every 300 children. By comparison, in middle and high-income homes, each child has an average of 50 books.
- The availability of reading material in the home is directly associated with children’s achievement in reading.
Here’s how you can help:
- Donate any new or gently used books to Book It Forward! Your donation is tax-deductible. Click here for a tax receipt form. We will provide those books to Idaho children who need them to become successful readers.
- Volunteer to help clean and sort books. Our warehouse is located at The Cabin Literary Center, at 801 S Capitol Blvd (Boise, ID 83702), open M-F, 9am-5pm. Set up a shift using the contact information below. Groups shifts are welcome.
- Like us on Facebook! You can keep up to date on book drive initiatives, educational news, and see how we’re doing!
Interested in Hosting a Book Drive?
You can hold your own book drive for Book it Forward! Book drives are a fun and rewarding way to engage your school, organization and/or friends in efforts to increase access to books in Idaho. If you are interested in hosting a book drive, please download, complete, and return our registration form.
In Boise, you can drop off new and gently used books at the following locations:
- The Treasure Valley YMCA (Downtown and West and Caldwell locations)
- The Cabin Literary Center (801 S Capital Blvd)
- Idaho Voices for Children (1607 W. Jefferson St., Boise, ID 83702)
- United Way of Treasure Valley (3100 S Vista)
- Barnes and Noble (1315 N Milwaukee)
- Caldwell Perspective 217 S 9th Ave, Caldwell
What have we accomplished so far?
- Donated 330,000+ books to children since the Spring of 2013
- Partnered with United Way of Treasure Valley for 3 years in an annual state-wide book drive
- Established a warehouse operation at The Cabin to store, process and send out books requests.
- Set up collection sites at the downtown and West, and Caldwell Y’s, United Way of Treasure Valley on Vista, Barnes & Noble at 1315 N Milwaukee, the Cabin on Capitol Blvd, and Idaho Voices for Children at 1607 W Jefferson.
- Partnered with many area schools to hold book drives, including Bishop Kelly High School, Riverstone International, Roosevelt, Foothills and Highlands Elementary schools
- Donate to organizations such as Terry Reilly Clinics, St. Luke’s, Little Libraries, Nampa B&G Club, Southwest District Health WIC Clinics, Caldwell Schools, Nampa Schools, after-school community centers, Title One Schools including Taft and Garfield Elementary schools, among many others.
- Awarded a grant as the charity of choice for the Silver Sage Porsche Club of America for 2015 for $14,000.
- Awarded the Governor’s Brightest Star award for 2017, recognizing our impact and voluntarism in the community.
- Awarded the Bob LeBow Community Health Award for providing over 45,000 books to Terry Reilly Clinics.
For information on donating books, to request books, or to volunteer, contact Diane Schwarz, firstname.lastname@example.org
Need a receipt for a donation?
Click here for a tax receipt form.